69 Singapore eateries make the Michelin Bib Gourmand 2021 list
The 12 new entries include nine hawker stalls and three restaurants, such as Hainan Zi at Chong Pang Market and Kotuwa at Jalan Besar. It also sees the return of The Coconut Club at Ann Siang, which was last on the list in 2018.
After a hiatus in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Michelin Bib Gourmand list is back with a bang, with a total of 69 eateries on it.
There were 58 entries on the 2019 Bib Gourmand list and 57 of those have returned to make it to this year's list.
On the 2021 list, 42 are hawker stalls, along with six street food establishments and 21 restaurants that boast Singapore’s multi-cultural range of cuisines and traditions.
There are 12 new entries to this year’s list. The restaurant entrants include Da Shi Jia Big Prawn Mee at Killiney, which serves up customisable prawn noodle soup and fried prawn bee hoon and Kotuwa at Jalan Besar by chef-owner Rishi Naleendra who offers his native Sri Lankan cuisine of hoppers and seafood-focussed dishes.
The Coconut Club at Ann Siang, known for their flavourful nasi lemak, is also back on the Bib Gourmand list, having made it in 2018 but dropping out in 2019.
On the hawker front, there are nine that are newly minted in a line-up that spans everything from bak kut teh to laksa, and sliced fish soup.
Joining the list are Fei Fei Roasted Noodle and Heng Heng Cooked Food (both located at Yuhua Village Market and Food Centre); Jian Bo Tiong Bahru Shui Kueh and Soh Kee Cooked Food (both from Jurong West 505 Market and Food Centre); Lai Heng Handmade Teochew Kueh at Yuhua Market & Hawker Centre; Hainan Zi at Chong Pang Market and Food Centre; Joo Siah Bak Koot Teh at Kai Xiang Food Centre; Jun Yuan House Of Fish at Old Airport Road Food Centre and Kwang Kee Teochew Fish Porridge at Newton Food Centre.
The Bib Gourmand category was created in 1997 and is essentially a list of establishments offering diners great value-for-money options, with a complete and high-quality menu priced at a maximum of S$45. All eateries are nominated by Michelin guide inspectors.
With the recent addition of Singapore’s street food onto the UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Culture Heritage of Humanity in 2020, the topic of protecting and promoting hawker culture for future generations has come to the forefront.
Said Gwendal Poullennec, International Director of the Michelin Guides: “Awarded by Michelin inspectors to food establishments that serve good quality food at a good value, Bib Gourmands are often described as ‘personal favourites’ of theirs. It is no surprise then to find a large proportion of Singapore’s cherished hawker stalls and street food establishments among the Bib Gourmands. Their tenacity to brave through these uncertain times has been a source of strength to everyone and this uniquely Singapore’s hawker culture a source of pride to the nation. Now, they are inscribed on the UNESCO Intangible Culture List.”
MICHELIN'S BIB GOURMAND 2021 FULL LIST
- A Noodle Story (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Alliance Seafood (Newton Food Centre)
- Anglo Indian (Shenton Way)
- Ar Er Soup (ABC Brickworks Market and Food Centre)
- Balestier Road Hoover Rojak (Whampoa Makan Place)
- Bar-Roque Grill
- Beach Road Fish Head Bee Hoon (Whampoa Makan Place)
- Bedok Chwee Kueh (Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre)
- Bismillah Biryani
- Chai Chuan Tou Yang Rou Tang (Bukit Merah View Market and Hawker Centre)
- Chef Kang's Noodle House
- Chen's Mapo Tofu (Shenton Way)
- Chey Sua Carrot Cake (Toa Payoh West Market & Food Centre)
- Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck (Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Da Shi Jia Big Prawn Mee (Killiney)
- Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
- Eminent Frog Porridge & Seafood (Geylang Road Lorong 19)
- Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Fei Fei Roasted Noodle (Yuhua Village Market and Food Centre)
- Fresh Taste Big Prawn Noodle (Zion Riverside Food Centre)
- Fu Ming Cooked Food (Redhill Food Centre)
- Guan Kee Fried Kway Teow (Ghim Moh Market and Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Hainan Zi (Chong Pang Market and Food Centre)
- Hawker Chan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle (78 Smith Street)
- Heng (Newton Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Heng Heng Cooked Food (Yuhua Village Market and Food Centre)
- Hjh Maimunah (Jalan Pisang)
- Hock Hai Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Noodle (Albert Centre)
- Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Hong Kee Beef Noodle (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Hong Kong Yummy Soup (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
- Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- Indocafe - The White House
- J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff (Amoy Street Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Jian Bo Tiong Bahru Shui Kueh (Jurong West 505 Market & Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Joo Siah Bak Koot Teh (Kai Xiang Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Jun Yuan House Of Fish (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- Ka Soh (Outram Park)
- Koh Brother Pig's Organ Soup (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Kok Sen
- NEW ENTRY: Kotuwa (Jalan Besar)
- NEW ENTRY: Kwang Kee Teochew Fish Porridge (Newton Food Centre)
- NEW ENTRY: Lai Heng Handmade Teochew Kueh (Yuhua Market and Hawker Centre)
- Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice (Chinatown Complex)
- Man Man (Tanjong Pagar)
- Muthu's Curry (Little India)
- Na Na Curry (Bukit Merah View Market & Hawker Centre)
- New Lucky Claypot Rice (Holland Drive Market & Food Centre)
- Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- Shi Hui Yuan (Mei Ling Market & Food Centre)
- Sik Bao Sin (Desmond's Creation)
- Sin Huat Eating House
- Sin Kee Famous Cantonese Chicken Rice (Holland Drive)
- NEW ENTRY: Soh Kee Cooked Food (Jurong West 505 Market & Food Centre)
- Song Fa Bak Kut Teh (New Bridge Road)
- Tai Wah Pork Noodle (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
- The Blue Ginger
- NEW ENTRY The Coconut Club (Ann Siang)
- Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (Maxwell Food Centre)
- Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice (Tiong Bahru Market)
- Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee (ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre)
- To-Ricos Guo Shi (Old Airport Road Food Centre)
- True Blue Cuisine
- Whole Earth
- Yhingthai Palace
- Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast)
- Zai Shun Curry Fish Head